Summertime is here! What family activities do you have planned?
Although taking a break from school is a good reset for your children, it is not the time to take a break from developmental and behavioral learning. In fact, it is quite the opposite!
Keeping your kids active builds a sense of confidence and self-worth, improves sleep quality, reduces symptoms of depression and anxiety, reduces the risk of obesity, type two diabetes and heart disease, increases the child’s ability to focus when back in school, and helps with the consistent development of basic and fine motor skills.
Fairhope Pediatrics recommends taking advantage of time spent together as a family to help children continue to learn daily and stay healthy. Below is a list of fun-filled, kid-friendly ideas to help your children stay active during these summer months!
- Make reading a daily habit. Reading keeps a child’s brain active and improves learning capabilities.
- Enroll your child in a summer enrichment or recreational program. Schools and community programs often sponsor local events to help keep kids engaged.
- Purchase a pass to a local swimming pool. Kids lose track of time when playing with water toys! Plus, it’s great exercise – just don’t forget the SPF!
- Host a sprinkler party. Invite your neighbors!
- Sign up to do service work together as a family. Community service will keep your children active, while also teaching valuable lessons.
- Encourage your teen to get a part-time job. This will help form healthy work habits and give your child a sense of responsibility.
- Build forts out of furniture. Your child’s imagination will run wild!
- Go rollerblading or biking.
- Take your pet for a walk as a family.
- Encourage your kids to help with gardening and lawn work. They can be a bigger help than you think!
We suggest making a bucket list to help build excitement for your summer activities. Children will enjoy partaking in the fun of checking each item off the list! Whatever you decide to do this summer, make it a memorable and active experience for your family! These are the memories your children will always carry with them. For more information or ideas on family activities, visit https://bit.ly/3z26vIa.